"Extending in length about 4 miles, and in breadth about 3, the parish is a hilly tract of country, but the hills are capable of cultivation to the summits. Almost the whole district is a wet, cold soil, on a till or gravelly bottom. There are several extensive muirs and marshes in the parish, which might be drained and improved. A part of that extensive moss, called Dilty Moss, lies in this parish. There are sveral inexhaustible quarries of grey slate and pavement stones, which have been wrought for centuries, and supply the neighbourhood, besides exporting to Perthshire, Fife &c. Mr Ouchterlony of Guynd, one of the proprietors, has lately made out some extensive plantations of oak and larch, which promise in a short time, to remove the present barren and inhospitable appearance of the parish. The small river Elliot which takes its rise in the Dilty Moss,, runs through the whole length of the parish."
The Gazetteer of Scotland, W Chalmers, Dundee 1803.
Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Carmyllie.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Carmyllie from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.