Link to maps of Carnoustie

CARNOUSTIE, Angus

The Parish of Carnoustie is a modern creation and did not come into existance until 1941, so there is no entry in any ancient Gazetteer. The area now known as Carnoustie once formed part of the lands of the church of Barry, granted to Balmerino Abbey in 1229. The Barony was gifted to Sir Philip de Valiniis, Lord High Chamberlain, about 1172. The barony came into the hands of the Maule family in 1224. Part of Panmure estate were sold off in 1792 to a former employee, Major Philip, who called his new lands Carnoustie estate. Philip had made a fortune in India and returned to live the life of the landed gentry. In 1797 Major Philip granted the first feu from the Carnoustie estate to Thomas Louson, considered to be the father of the town of Carnoustie. Philip saw the commercial potential of feuing and offered inducements to other settlers. The village was attractive to new settlers and soon flourished. The new settlement was at first contained within Barry parish but later spilled over the Lochty Burn into Panbride parish. The small village steadily grew into a town owing to the growth of industrialisation in the early 19th century. Its proximity to Dundee, a few miles along the new railway line, was a great boast to the town development as it enabled middle class families to settle in the town and commute to their offices in Dundee. Carnoustie was home to a wide variety of industries including the Winter family's boot and shoemaking factory, golf club makers such as Simpson's, the Panmure Jute Works, the vitriol works, Anderson-Grice engineers and more recently D. J Laing construction and MacKays jam factory. The work available in the town attracted growing numbers of people seeking work. By the early 20th century the population had grown to approximately 4,500. The village was steadily growing into a town. This led to a steady growth in the building trade and in the establishment of shops on the High Street. In 1895 Carnoustie was able to implement improvements with the establishment of its own Town Council. They began the work of installing kerbs by the roadside, laying down paths in concrete, adding street lighting and improving the water supply.

Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Carnoustie.

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)

[Page created by Brian R Timmins]
[Last major update 4th December, 2006 - Brian R Timmins]
[Last updated 7 Dec 2010 - 08:59 by Mel Lockie]