[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"CRAIG, a parish in the county of Forfar, Scotland. It includes the villages of Ferryden and Usan, and is bounded on the N. by the Montrose basin, on the E. by the German Ocean, on the S. by the parishes of Lunan and Kinnel, and on the W. by the parish of Farnell. Its extreme length from N.E. to S.W. is about 6 miles, with a breadth of 3 miles. The surface of the parish is undulating, and the scenery beautiful. About three-fourths is in cultivation, the remainder being pasture and wood. The fisheries, both of salmon and other fish, are extensive. The principal seats are Rossie House, Dunninald House, Usan House, and Inchbrayock Villa. The ruins of Craig Castle, often mentioned in Scottish history, and the site of a fort said to have been used by Oliver Cromwell, are the principal antiquities. This parish is in the presbytery of Brechin, and in the patronage of St. Mary's College, St. Andrew's. The stipend of the minister is £257. There is also a Free church. This parish comprises the two ancient parishes of Craig, or Inchbrayock, and Dunninald, or St. Skeoch, which were united in 1618. From the parish church there is a beautiful view northward, over and beyond the town of Montrose. The syllable Craig signifying "a rock," is affixed to the names of many mountains and craggy places, both in Scotland and Wales, too numerous to mention."
"FERRYDEN, a post village in the parish of Craig, county Forfar, Scotland, 1 mile S. of Montrose. It is situated on the South Esk, opposite Montrose, and has a small harbour. There is a very extensive fishery carried on, which occupies the greater portion of the inhabitants. It was formerly a busy place by reason of the ferry, which is now superseded by bridges higher up the river."
"INCH-CRAYOCK, (or Rossie Island), a small island belonging to the parish of Craig, lying in South Esk, county Forfar, Scotland. It has a flat surface extending over about 34 acres. In 1618 Inch-Crayock was embodied with Skeoch and Dunninald in forming the parish of Craig, previous to which period the island, with some neighbouring lands, gave name to a separate parish, and had a parish church and burial-ground. The cemetery is still in use."
"USAN, a village in the parish of Craig, county Forfar, Scotland, 3 miles S.E. of Montrose. It is situated on the coast, and is a coast-guard station."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]