[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"DUN, a parish in the N.E. of the county of Forfar, Scotland. It is bounded on the N. by Strickathrow and Logiepert, on the E. by the parish and basin of Montrose, on the S. by the South Esk, and on the W. by Brechin. Its figure is nearly square, with a length and breadth of about 4 miles. The surface is fertile, and flat towards the S. and E., from which it rises gently northward to the centre of the parish. The bed of Montrose basin has a muddy and disagreeable appearance at low water, and its waters, as well as those of the South Esk, are kept from overflowing the adjacent low lands by embankments. The river has a bridge of three arches, built in 1787, and abounds in salmon, trout, and other fish. The road between Montrose and Brechin, and also the Scottish North-Eastern railway, traverse the parish. Thore is a railway station at Bridge-of-Dun. The chief landowners are-Erskine, of Dun, Carnegy, of Craigs, Cruickshank, of Langley Park, and Sir James Campbell, of Strickathrow. This parish is in the presbytery of Brechin and synod of Angus and Mearns, and in the patronage of Erskine, of Dun. The minister has a stipend of £160."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our