"A parish in the county of Angus, extending in length about 4 miles, and from 2 to 3 in breadth. It is mostly arable, though the surface is hilly; and some of the hills are elevated to a height of 750 feet above the level of the sea. The soil is tolerably fertile, and it is watered by two small brooks, which arise from neighbouring moss. There are several extensive marl pits, the marl of which Mr Dempster, by a plan commended by the late Dr Black of Edinburgh, has been able to convert into a tolerable quick lime. Mr Dempster whose honest and patriotic conduct as a statesman will be long remembered by his country, is the chief proprietor, and has lately fued a part of his ground for a village called Letham, where there is a stamp office, and a weekly market for the sale of yarn and brown linens; which manufacture Mr Demspter has exerted himself greatly to promote."
The Gazetteer of Scotland, W Chalmers, Dundee 1803.
Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Dunnichen.
- The transcription of the section for Dunnichen from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.