EASSIE and NEVAY - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"EASSIE, (and Nevay) a parish in the district and county Forfar, Scotland, 7 miles S.W. of Forfar. It is a station on the Scottish Midland railway. The parish is hounded by Perthshire and the parishes of Airlie Glamis and Newtyle, and extends over 5,100 acres. The parish is situated along the bank of the river Deane, and at the foot of the Sidlaw hills. Glamis is the post town for the Eassie division, and Meigle for the Nevay. The surface consists generally of good arable land, and is traversed by the road from Perth to Forfar, and by three small rivulets, abounding in trout. This parish is in the presbytery of Meigle and synod of Angus and Mearns, in the patronage of Lord Wharncliffe. The minister has a stipend of £161. The new church, an elegant structure, was erected in place of the two old churches of Eassie and Nevay, now gone to ruin. There is a new manse and a library. Dunkenny is the seat of J. L. Amy, Esq., and Nevay of the Mackenzies. Eassie was united to Nevay about the middle of the 17th century. Good building stone is obtained here. A vein of silver was discovered a few years ago."
"NEVAY, an ancient parish in county Forfar, Scotland, now joined to Essie."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use