"A parish on the North West corner of the county of Angus. It is nearly surrounded by two rivulets, which here unite, and receive the name of the North Esk. The soil is of an inferior quality, shallow, and lying on a rocky or gravelly bottom. The whole parish belongs to the Honorable W Ramsay Maule of Panmure and Sir Alexander Ramsay Irvine, Bart. The castle of Edzell is a most magnificent ruin; it was long the property of the family of Lindsay, but now belongs to Mr Maule. There are three druidic temples, the stones of which enclose an area of eliptical form, 45 feet in length by 36 in breadth."
The Gazetteer of Scotland, W Chalmers, Dundee 1803.