GUTHRIE - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"GUTHRIE, a parish in the district of the Sidlaws, county Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles S. of Brechin. It is a station on the Arbroath and Forfar railway, Arbroath being its post town. The parish is separated into two parts, North and South, 6 miles distant from each other. The upper division is 3 miles long by 3 wide, and is bounded on the S. by the Lunan water; the lower division, called Kirkbuddo, is about 5 miles in circumference. The surface is flat and moorish, but lies at a very high elevation. This parish is in the presbytery of Arbroath, and synod of Angus and Mearns. The minister has a stipend of £158. The church was built in 1826, and is situated in the N. division. The landowners are, Guthrie of Guthrie, Carnegy of Lower Guthrie, and Ogilvy of Kirkbuddo. Guthrie Castle was built by Sir Alex. Guthrie, who was killed at Flodden."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use