"A parish in the county of Forfar, about three miles square. The surface is uneven, and a great aprt of the soil muiry, and unimprovable. There is however, a growing spirit for agriculture, but enclosures are still rare, and the old system of incessant cropping still adhered to in many farms. The principal manure employed is marl, brought from the loch of Forfar, at the distance of five miles. There are few old trees, but of late years, the chief proprietors have planted a considerable extent of the waste lands, which are very thriving, and must eventually turn to good account."
The Gazetteer of Scotland, W Chalmers, Dundee 1803.