[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"INVERARITY, a parish in the Sidlaw district of county Forfar, Scotland, containing the post-office villages of Fotheringham and Kincaldrum. It is nearly of a circular form, between 4 and 5 miles in diameter, and is environed by Kinnettles, Forfar, Guthrie, Murroes, and Glamis. The surface is diversified, and the soil various. Some fertile alluvial tracts occur in the valleys. The Arity water bisects the parish, and falls into Dean water. The road from Dundee to Aberdeen traverses the parish. This parish is in the presbytery of Forfar, and synod of Angus and Mearns. The minister has a stipend of £245. The church was built in 1754. The old church stood just above the meeting of the Corbieburn and Arity water. Here is an industrial school. The ancient parish of Menthie, with that of Inverarity, were embodied to form the present parish. Fotheringham and Kincaldrum are the principal residences. There are remains of a Roman camp in the eastern extremity of the parish. Sandstone and grey slate are very plentiful."
"METHIE, an ancient parish, now joined to Inverarity, county Forfar, Scotland."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]