KETTINS, Angus - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"KETTINS, a parish in counties Forfar and Perth, Scotland. It has a detached district in the latter county, the main district being about 6 miles distant in the former county. This parish lies under the Sidlaw hills, in the neighbourhood of the river Isla, and contains the village of its name, besides Peatie, Campmuir, Ford of Pitcur, and Ley of Haliburton. Cupar-Angus is its post town. The entire parish is about 5 miles long, and near 4 broad. The surface of the larger portion is flat and well cultivated; that of the lesser is hilly, with heath and woodland. Two small streams have part of their course in this parish, and unite near Cupar-Angus. The road from that town to Dundee passes through the interior, and the Scottish Midland and Newtyle railways afford communication with the surrounding district. This parish is in the presbytery of Meigle, and synod of Angus and Mearns, in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £236. The church was erected in 1768. The ancient church was subject to the Redfriars of Peebles, and had six chapels in the locality. The principal residences are Lintrose, and Haliburton House, the seat of the Marquis of Huntly, the chief landowner. Linen-weaving and bleaching are carried on to some extent by the inhabitants for the Dundee market. There are supposed Roman remains at Campmuir, and at Baldowrie a carved pillar 6 feet high, of Danish origin. In the S. of the parish stood Dores Castle, the alleged residence of Macbeth. A curious artificial cave was discovered some years ago at Lintrose. Cairns and tumuli are observed in places."
"CAMPMUIR, a village in the parish of Kettins, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 11 miles to the N.W. of Dundee. The Newtyle branch of the Dundee, Perth, and Aberdeen Junction railway passes by it."
"FORD-OF-PICTUR, a village in the parish of Kettins, county Forfar, Scotland, 9 miles W. of Dundee."
"LEY-OF-HALLIBURTON, a village in the parish of Kettins, county Forfar, Scotland, 9 miles N.W. of Dundee."
"PEATIE, a village in the parish of Kettins, county Forfar, Scotland, 11 miles N.W. of Dundee."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use