"About 4 miles in length, and 3 in breadth. It lies on the North side of the Sidlaw hills, and on a part of the valley of Strathmore. The greater part of the parish has a light thin soil, covered with heath and coarse grass; in many parts a rich clay soil prevails, which is tolerably fertile. There are 3 bleachfields, which annually lay down about 130,000 yards: there are seven villages, of which Kettins is the largest; it is pleasantly situated on a rivulet, which descends from the Sidlaw hills, and loses itself in the Isla, 5 miles below Cupar [Angus]; it lies on the turnpike road from Dundee to Cupar [Angus]; distant 12 miles East by North from Perth, and 14 North West from Dundee. Lintrose, formerly Todderance, the seat of Mungo Murray Esq, is a mile west from the village, and is envrioned with fertile fields and thriving planatations. Haliburton-house, formerly the residence of the family of Haliburton, is now the property of Lord Aboyne: in a detached part of the parish, 6 miles South West is the estate and house of Bandirran. There are two ancient castles; one at Dores, the other at Pitcur."
The Gazetteer of Scotland, W Chalmers, Dundee 1803.
Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Kettins.
- The transcription of the section for Kettins from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.