[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"KINGOLDRUM, a parish in the county of Forfar, Scotland. It is bounded by Kerriemuir, Lintrathen, Cortachy, and Airlie, and is situated at the base of the Grampian hills. It is 7 miles long by 2½ in breadth. The surface is hilly in the S. and mountainous in the N., the Catlaw rising to an altitude of 2,214 feet above sea-level. The parish contains about 12,800 acres, of which 3,500 are in tillage. It is watered by the Prosen-water and Cromby, with their tributaries. The parish is in the presbytery of Meigle and synod of Angus and Mearns. The minister's stipend is £149, in the patronage of the crown. The original church was given, about the 13th century, to the monks of Arbroath by Sir Alland Durward, of Lintrathen. The present church is modern. In the southern part of the parish stands Balfour Castle, an ancient structure in the Gothic style of architecture, and formerly the seat of the Ogilvie family of Balfour. Here are also the mansions of Pearsie and Baldovie. On the summit of Catlaw is an immense cairn, and Scurrock Hill is crowned with a Druidical temple. The post-office village bearing the name of the parish, is 4 miles W. of Kerriemuir."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our