[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"KINNETTLES, a parish in the county Forfar, Scotland. It is bounded by the parishes of Forfar, Glamis, and Inverarity. Its size is 2 miles long by 2 broad. It is exceedingly fertile and well cultivated. The Dean and Kerbit, or Airty, are the principal streams. The parish contains the Kirktown of Kinnettles and the village of Douglastown. It is in the presbytery of Forfar and synod of Angus and Mearns. The minister's stipend is £158, in the patronage of the crown. The parish church is a modern structure. There is also a Free church. Slate, sandstone, whinstone, and greywacke are quarried, and there are mineral springs in the neighbourhood. The parish is intersected by the Midland railway, which has no station here, and by the road from Cupar Angus to Forfar. The village is small, but well built."
"DOUGLASTOWN, a village in the parish of Kinnettles, in the county of Forfar, Scotland. It stands on the road from Glaumies to Forfar. The village dates from 1792, when Mr. Douglas, of Brigton, and his partners, erected a large flax spinning mill here."
"KIRKTON-OF-KINNETTLES, a village in the parish of Kinnettles, county Forfar, Scotland, 3 miles S.W. of Forfar."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]