"Formed by the union of Navar and Lethnot in 1723. The cultivated land is about 5 miles in length, and ¾ of a mile in breadth; but the muirs and waste lands extend much farther. The whole of the cultivated land is surrounded by the Grampians, except towards the East where there is a small opening, through which the West Water, one of the branches of the South Esk river, issues. The soil of the arable land is partly clay, and partly rich in loam, upon a till bottom, and there is some haugh ground on the banks of the rivulet: lying in the midst of the Grampians, the parish is generally hilly, and some of the hills are elevated to a considerable height .... The number of sheep is about 8000. Limestone is abundant, but the quality is rather inferior: there is also clay marl, which however, contains only a small quantity of calcareous earth."
The Gazetteer of Scotland, W Chalmers, Dundee 1803.