LETHNOTT, Angus - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"LETHNOTT, (and Navar) a united parish in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 6 miles S.E. of Brechini, its nearest post town. It is 13 miles long and measures about 6 miles at its broadest part. It is situated in the midst of the Grampians, and consists of a strip of cultivated land, with considerable tracts of moors and wastes. The soil of some parts of the arable land is a rich loam and in others clayey. The streams are the water of Saugh, the Westwater, Pelphrie Burn, and several brooks. The parish is in the presbytery of Brechin and synod of Angus and Mearns, in the patronage of the crown. The minister's stipend is £158. The parish of Navar gave the title of baron to the Panmures. In theneighbourhood are several cairns and Druidical remains."
"BALFIELD, a hamlet in the parishes of Lethnott and Navar, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 10 miles from Brechin."
"NEWBIGGING, a locality in the parish of Lethnott, county Forfar, Scotland, 7 miles N.W. of Brechin. It contains some ruins, and is almost surrounded by the Grampian hills."
"WEST WATER, a stream, county Forfar, Scotland, rises in the parish of Lethnott, and joins the river North Esk at Stickathrow."
"NAVAR, an ancient parish in the county of Forfar, Scotland, now joined to Lethnot."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use