LIFF, Angus - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"LIFF, (with Benvie and Invergowrie) a united parish, partly in the county of Perth, and partly in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles W.N.W. of Dundee. It contains the villages of Liff, Dargie, Benvie, Muirhead, Invergowrie, and Blackmuir, with part of the burgh of Dundee and the town of Lochee. It is about 6 miles in length by 4 in breadth. About 6,700 imperial acres are in wood, 4,400 under tillage, and 80 in pasture. The streams are the Dighty Water and Invergowrie burn. Freestone is abundant, and there are several quarries of grey slate. The parish is in the presbytery of Dundee and synod of Angus and Mearns. The minister's stipend is £298. The parish church is a modern and commodious structure in the Gothic style of architecture. There is a large chapel-of-ease at Lochee (in the presentation of the male communicants), as well as a Free church and an United Presbyterian church. There is also a Free church at Liff. There are several schools. The present parish contains the ancient parishes of Liff, Benvie, Invergowrie, and Logie. The inhabitants for the most part are employed in the weaving of linen fabrics for the Dundee manufactures, and there are both spinning and paper mills. Near the church, on the estate of Lord Gray, are the remains of a palace built by Alexander I. Camperdown House (named from Lord Duncan's victory), the seat of the Earl of Camperdown; Gray House, the mansion of Lord Gray; and Balruddery House, are the chief seats in the parish. The parish has three stations on the Dundee, Newtyle, and Forfar line, viz: Liff, Camperdown, and Lochee, and one station (Invergowrie) on the Dundee and Perth railway."
"BACKMUIR, a hamlet in the parish of Liff, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, not far from Dundee."
"DENHEAD, (and Denmill) a conjoint village in the parish of Liff and Benvie, in the county of Forfar, Scotland."
"LOCHEE, a small post town and quoad sacra parish in the parish of Liff and Benvie, county Forfar, Scotland. It is 1½ mile N.W. of Dundee, to which it may be regarded as a suburb. It is a station of the Dundee, Newcastle, and Forfar railway. Here are spinning and other mills, and many of the inhabitants are employed in hand-loom weaving by the manufactories of Dundee. Here are extensive sandstone quarries. The United Presbyterians and Free Church have each a place of worship, and there is a chapel-of-ease. Lochee is included within the parliamentary bounds of the burgh of Dundee."
"MILLHOUSE, a village in the parish of Liff and Benvie, county Forfar, Scotland, 3 miles N. of Dundee."
"MUIRHEAD, a hamlet in the parishes of Liff and Invergowrie, county Forfar, Scotland, 6 miles N.W. of Dundee. It is situated under Balgay Hill and near the river Tay."
"INVERGOWRIE, an ancient parish in the districts of Dundee and Eastern Perth, counties Forfar and Perth, Scotland, now incorporated with Liff and Benvie. It is a station on the Perth and Dundee branch of the Scottish Central railway."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use