LINTRATHEN, Angus - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"LINTRATHEN, (or Lentrathen), a parish in the Grampian district of county Forfar, Scotland. It is situated about 9 miles W. of Kirriemuir. It comprises the hamlets of Pitmudie and Bridgend, together with a post-office station of its own name. Its length from N. to S. is about 11 miles, and its greatest breadth 6. The greater part of the surface consists of several eminences, which in some cases attain a height of nearly 1,000 feet. There are about 3,000 imperial acres under tillage, and 1,200 in, wood. The chief streams are the Isla, the Slug of Alchrannie, the Back water, and the Melgam water. The parish is in the presbytery of Meigle, and synod of Angus and Mearns. The minister's stipend is £160. The church is a modern structure. There are parochial and private schools. The Earl of Airlie is the chief heritor."
"BRIDGEND, a village in the parish of Lintrathen, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 7 miles to the W. of Kirriemuir. It is near the south foot of the Grampians."
"MELGAM, (or Melgum Water), rises in the parish of Lintrathen, county Forfar, Scotland, and runs S. to the river Isla."
"PITMUDIE, a hamlet in the parish of Lintrathen, county Forfar, Scotland, 6 miles N.W. of Kerriemuir."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use