[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"LOCHLEE, a parish in the extreme N. of the Grampian district of the county Forfar, Scotland. It is 18 miles N. of Forfar, and includes the hamlet of Tarfside. It formerly belonged to the Lindsays of Penmark, but is now possessed by Lord Panmure. The size of the parish is 12 miles by 6. Its surface is mountainous, rising at Mount Keen to 3,465 feet above sea level, and at other summits between 2,000 and 3,000 feet. There are not above 1,500 acres under tillage. The rivers are the Lee, the Tarf, and the Marle, which are the head streams of the North Esk. Limestone is quarried here. The parish is in the presbytery of Brechin and synod of Angus and Mearns, in the patronage of the crown. The minister's stipend is £158. There is a Free church, and also an Episcopalian chapel. This was the residence of A. Ross, the author of "The Fortunate Shepherdess.""
"TARFSIDE, a hamlet in the parish of Lochlee, county Forfar, Scotland, 17 miles N. of Forfar, on the braes of Angus, near the rivers Lee and Tarf."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]