LOGIE PERT, Angus - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"LOGIE PERT, a parish in the county Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles N.E. of Brechin. Montrose is its post town. It contains the villages of Craigo, Logie, and Muirside. The river North Esk traces the boundary between this parish and the county Kincardine, and gives the title of earl to the family of Carnegie. The length of the parish is 5 miles, and its breadth about 3. It contains about 3,860 acres, of which by far the larger proportion is under cultivation. Freestone is abundant, but not worked. There are copious springs in the neighbourhood, one of which is mineral. The parish is in the presbytery of Brechin and synod of Angus and Mearns, in the patronage of the crown and St. Mary's College, St. Andrew's. The parish church, erected in 1840, is a commodious structure. There is a Free church; also three non-parochial schools. The principal mansions are Craigo and Gallary. In the neighbourhood are two extensive flag spinning-mills, bleach-fields, and soda works, which, together, employ a large number of the inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the Aberdeen railway, which has a station at Craigo. This parish was united with that of Pert in 1610, and the ruins of the ancient churches of both parishes are still to be seen. The united parish is sometimes called Logie Forfar. There are tumuli near Craigo House, known as the Laws of Logie, where human remains, &c., have been discovered."
"CRAIGO, a village in the parish of Logie Pert, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles N. W. of Montrose. It is situated on the river North Esk."
"LOGIE, a village in the parish of Logie Pert, county Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles N.E. of Brechin."
"MUIRSIDE, a village in the parish of Logie Pert, county Forfar, Scotland, 8 miles N.W. of Montrose."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use