LUNDIE, Angus - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"LUNDIE, a parish in the county Forfar, Scotland. It contains a small village of its own name, which is 9 miles N.W. of Dundee. It is situated under the Sidlaws. The parish is 3 miles long by 2 at its greatest breadth, with an area of 4,100 acres. The soil is various, but for the most part productive. There are four lakes, the largest of which is three quarters of a mile. The ancient parish of Lundie was united to Fowlis Easter in 1618. The united parish is in the presbytery of Dundee and synod of Angus and Mearns. The minister's stipend is 1201. The parish has two churches, the minister officiating in them every alternate Sunday. That of Lundie is an ancient structure, repaired in 1847. The church of Fowlis Easter was founded by Sir Andrew Gray, and is still perfectly .entire, though built in the year 1142. It was refitted in 1 2. There are two parish schools. Cattle fairs are held Lundie in June and August, but are of no importance. Near Pitlail lake is a three or four syllable echo."
"KIRK, a village in the parish of Lundie, county Forfar, Scotland, 7 miles N.W. of Dundee. It is situated under the Sidlaw hills."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use