"Mains or Mains of Fintry, a parish in Forfarshire, formerly named Strathdichty, being part of that strath which runs through which the river Dichty directs its course towards the river Tay. It is about 4 miles long and 3 broad at the middle, but is considerably narrower at the extremities. The face of the country has a delightful appearance, rising gently from the banks of the river towards the North and South: the whole is enclosed with hedge-rows and ornamented with clumps and belts of planting: the whole is arable, and the soil is in general deep and fertile loam.
Strathmartine, a parish in Forfarshire, about 2 miles square, lying in the pleasant and beautiful vale which is watered by the Dichty. The surface is pretty level, and the soil light and sandy. In 1796 the parish was united to that of Mains of Fintry."
The Gazetteer of Scotland, W Chalmers, Dundee 1803.