MAINS AND STRATHDIGHTY - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"MAINS AND STRATHDIGHTY, an united parish in county Forfar, Scotland, 3 miles N. of Dundee, its post town, and includes the villages of Kirkton and Beldovan at the latter place is a station on the Dundee and Newtyle railway. The length of the parish is 5¾ miles by 3¼ at its greatest breadth. The surface is hilly, but fertile, and for the most part under cultivation. The chief streams are the Fithie Water and the Dighty Water. There are extensive freestone and slate quarries in the neighbourhood. The united parish is in the presbytery of Dundee and synod of Angus and Mearns, in the patronage of the crown. The minister's stipend is £217. In 1799 the two parishes were united, and both at that time had their respective church. The present church for the united parish is a commodious structure erected in 1800. There are a Free church and several schools, also an asylum for imbecile children, erected by Sir John and Lady Ogilvy. Mains was formerly called Mains of Fintry, after Fintry Castle, the old seat of the Grahams, which came to Claverhouse. The chief seats are Baldovan House, Strathmartine House, and Balmure House. About three-fourths of the inhabitants are employed in manufactures similar to those of Dundee. The parish is intersected by the Dundee and Newtyle railway."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use