[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"MARYTON, (or Marytown or Marytoun), a parish in the district and county of Forfar, Scotland, 3 miles S.W. of Montrose, its post town. It is situated where the South Esk river falls into the Montrose basin. The parish comprises the two separate districts of Old Montrose and Dysart. The former is the most extensive, and was formerly the seat of the Grahames. It extends about 2½ miles in length, with a breadth varying from 1½ mile to 2½ miles. It is bounded by Pow-water for three-quarters of a mile,' and is intersected by Haugh-burn, which flows N.E. to the Montrose Basin. Marytown-Law, situated in the extreme S., is an artificial eminence on a base of rock from 300 to 400 feet above the sea-level, and commands a view of the German Ocean. The land is moderately even, with a good loamy soil, and is in an excellent state of cultivation. A portion of the coast has been secured from the encroachments of the sea by an embankment. There are traces of the ancient castle of Bonnyton, formerly the moated seat of the Woods. Dysart, the smaller district, is situated from 6 to 11 furlongs from Old Montrose [which see], and its boundary line is Buckyden Dell. It is 2½ miles long from-E. to W., and about 1½ mile in breadth. It is bounded by the German Ocean, the Lunan, and Craig, and is traversed by the great coast road from Dundee to Aberdeen. The whole district lies at a much higher elevation than that of Old Montrose, with the exception of the latter's southern border. The soil is not rich, though the whole of it is under cultivation. Stone of a coarse nature is quarried; This parish is in the presbytery of Brechin, and synod of Angus and Mearns, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is £198. The parish church, which is situated at the S.E. corner of Old Montrose, was erected in 1791. There is a Free church, also a parochial library and several schools. It is within easy distance of the Farnell-road and Dunbridge stations on the Aberdeen railway."
"BONNYTON, (or Bonnington), a village in the parish of Maryton, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 3 miles to the W. of Montrose. The Scottish North-Eastern railway passes near it. A castle formerly stood here, of which there are still some remains."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]