"Situate don the south bank fo the river South Esk, which here forms the bason of Montrose. It contains about 3000 acres, divided into two estates, viz Old Montrose and Dysart, belonging to Sir David Carnegie, and Mr Carnegie of Craigo. The latter estate is considerably higher than the former; but except the bank, which is the boundary between them, the ground is in general very level. The soil, on the low ground, is a rich clay, and the higher grounds have a fine loam, both of which are exceedingly fertile."
The Gazetteer of Scotland, W Chalmers, Dundee 1803.
Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Maryton.
- The transcription of the section for Maryton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.