[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"MENMUIR, a parish in the division and county of Forfar, Scotland. It contains the hamlet of Tigerton, and is bounded by the parishes of Lethnot, Strickathrow, Brechin, Careston, and Fearn. It extends 64 miles in length, with an extreme breadth of 4 miles. The southern portion of the parish is flat, and forms the vale of the Cruick water; while to the E. are the heights of White and Brown Caterthun, and to the N. spurs of the towering heights of the Binchinnin Grampians. The parish is traversed by the road from Kirriemuir to Fettercairn. The soil is rich and fertile, and the land in a high state of cultivation. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in weaving. This parish is in the presbytery of Brechin, and synod of Angus and Mearns. At Bathall, in the neighbourhood, is a mineral spring, formerly of great note. The minister has a stipend of £158. The parish church, which is large, was erected on the site of St. Ardan's, in 1842. Besides the parish church there is a Free church, also parochial schools. Menmuir came from the Collates to the Carnegies."
"TIGERTON, a village in the parish of Menmuir, county Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles N.W. of Brechin, near Cruick Water."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]