MONIFIETH, Angus - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"MONIFIETH, a parish in the district of Dundee, county Forfar, Scotland. It comprises the villages of Drumsturdymoor and Barnhill, also the chief portion of Broughty-Ferry, its post town. It extends in length about 5 miles S. and N., with a varying breadth of from 1½ mile to 3½ miles, and is bounded by the Frith of Tay and the parishes of Dundee, Murroes, Monikie, and Barry. The surface abounds with sandy links, though in their rear, E. of the Dighty, it is moderately flat for 1 mile, with a rich and fertile soil. The highest point is Drumsturdymoorlaw, with a vitrified fort about 2¼ miles from the shore. It rises about 530 feet above sea-level, and is of oval form, richly clothed in verdure. From its summit is an extensive prospect. The larger portion of the land is in excellent cultivation, and the remainder in pasture and plantation. The parish is traversed by the road from Dundee to Arbroath. The village of Monifieth is situated on the Frith of Tay, and on the Dundee and Arbroath railway, on which it has a station, 5 miles E. of Dundee, and 3 N.E. of Broughty-Ferry. In its vicinity are a foundry and machine-works, also a cart and plough manufactory. The greater portion of the inhabitants are employed in weaving. This parish is in the presbytery of Dundee, and synod of Angus and Mearns. The minister has a stipend of £264. The parish church was erected in 1813. The burying-ground contains some carved tombstones of great antiquity. There is a Free church, also one at Broughty-Ferry, likewise an United Presbyterian church and Episcopalian chapel. There are two parochial libraries and other useful institutions, with several schools, some of which are endowed. Monifieth is gradually being encroached upon by the sea, aided by the winds, which tend greatly to the constant drift of the sands."
"BARNHILL, a village in the parish of Monifieth in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles to the E. of Dundee. It is in a fertile district on the north coast of the Frith of Tay. The Dundee and Arbroath railway passes near it."
"BROUGHTY FERRY, a village and quoad sacra parish in the parish of Monifieth, and partly in that of Dundee, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 4 miles to the E. of Dundee. It is pleasantly seated on the N. shore of the Frith of Tay, and at West Ferry there is a station on the Dundee and Arbroath railway. Immediately opposite the village, on the S. shore of the Frith, is Tay Port, in Fifeshire, where steamers ply daily. The village contains some pretty residences, and is much frequented as a watering-place. Its name, Broughty, a corruption of Burgh Tay, signifies the "defence of the Tay," and was derived from an ancient castle which stood here. The castle has been lately repaired at an expense of £10,000, and now protects the river. The living, worth £275, with a manse, is in the presbytery of Dundee, and in the gift of the communicants. There is also a Free church, an United Presbyterian church, and an Episcopal church."
"DRUMSTURDY MUIR, a village in the parish of Monifieth, on the old road from Dundee to Arbroath, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 6 miles N.E. of Dundee. It is situated under Laws Hill."
"TAY-PORT, a hamlet in the parish of Monifieth, county Forfar, Scotland, 6 miles E. of Dundee, and 2 from Broughty Ferry. It is a station on the North British railway."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use