"Muirhouse or Murroes, a parish in Forfarshire; about 5 miles from Dundee, on the road from that place to Brechin. It is of small extent, and the greater part is arable. There are several old castles viz, Ballumbie, the property of the Hon William R Maule; Wester Powrie, the property of Colonel Fotheringham of Powrie; Easter Powrie, the property of Mr Wedderburn; and Wester Gaigie, the property of Captain Guthrie of Guthrie. On the property of Colonel Fotheringham is a valuable marl pit. The parish abounds with freestone."
The Gazetteer of Scotland, W Chalmers, Dundee 1803.
Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Murroes.
- The transcription of the section for Murroes from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.