[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"NEWTYLE, a parish in the county of Forfar, Scotland. It comprises a village of the same name, also the village of Newbigging, and numerous hamlets It extends about 2½ miles in length, with an extreme breadth of 2 miles, and is bounded on the N.W. by the county Perth, and on other sides by the parishes of Nevay, Glamis, Auchterhouse, Lundie, and Kettins. It includes a portion of the Sidlaw hills, from the spurs of which the lands decline towards the rich flat plain of Strathmore. The greatest altitude is obtained on the N.E. boundary by Kilpirnie's Hill, which rises 1,151 feet above sea-level. The summit of this hill is crowned by a tower, built by the Lord Privy Seal as an observatory. The soil is a rich loam, composed of black earth and clay, alternating with sand, and in some places gravel. It is generally fertile and well cultivated. Whinstone and good marl abound, and sandstone is quarried to a considerable extent. The air is dry and healthy, except in a few marshy places towards the N. Coals and peat are the general fuel. The village of Newtyle is about 11 miles N.W. of Dundee, 5 N.E. of Cupar, and 3 S.E. of Meigle. It has a station on the Cupar-Angus railway, at its junction with the Scottish Midland railway. It is situated under the Sidlaws, near Newtyle Clachan Pass, and is traversed by the turnpike road from Dundee to Newtyle and Meigle, and by the Dundee and Newtyle railway. The village was an insignificant place previous to 1832, but since that period has made rapid strides. Its streets and houses are well built. Many of the inhabitants are weavers, and a good general business is done, but the village owes its prosperity chiefly to the opening of the railway. Near the village are the ruins of Hatton Castle, erected by Lord Oliphant in 1575, and contiguous to these ruins were until recently traces of the more ancient castle of Balcraig. This parish is in the presbytery of Meigle, and synod of Angus and Mearns. The minister has a stipend of £163. The parish church was erected in 1769, and was restored andenlarged in the years 1824 and 1835. There are an United Presbyterian church, a Free Church preaching station, also a parochial school, and other schools. At Auchtertyre are traces of Montrose's camp, and about a quarter of a mile to the S. were discovered the ruins of a Pictish house of large dimensions, probably used as a safe repository for stores in time of war."
"CHAPEL OF KEILLOR, a village in the parish of Newtyle, in the county of Forfar, Scotland."
"DENEND, a village in the parish of Newtyle, in the county of Forfar, Scotland."
"NEWBIGGING, a village in the parish of Newtyle, county Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles E. by N. of Cupar. It is situated under the Sidlaw hills."
"PITNAPIES, a village in the parish of Newtyle, county Forfar, Scotland."
"TEMPLETON, a village in the parish of Newtyle, county Forfar, Scotland."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]