"About 13 miles long and 1 mile broad, including a part of the Sidlaw Hills, particularly the Glack of Newtyle, an opening in that ridge, which affords a passage from Strathmore to Dundee. The surface North of the Sidlaw Hills is flat and fertile; the soil is a black loam and clay. The village of Newtyle, situated on the road from Dundee to Meigle, 3 miles form the latter, contains 230 inhabitants, mostly weavers."
The Gazetteer of Scotland, W Chalmers, Dundee 1803.
Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Newtyle.
- The transcription of the section for Newtyle from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.