[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"OATHLAW, a parish in the county of Forfar, Scotland. It comprises the hamlet of Finhaven. It extends in length 6 miles from E. to W., with an extreme breadth of 3 miles. It is bounded by the parishes of Tannadier, Aberlemno, Rescobie, and Kirriemuir. The surface is in general flat, rising towards the S., where, at Finhaven Hill, it attains an elevation of 1,500 feet above the level of the adjacent country. The best part of the land is fertile and well cultivated. The prevailing rocks are granite and conglomerate. The soil is partly clay and partly muir, and the climate is moist. The village of Oathlaw is about 3½ miles N. of Forfar. It is situated at the confluence of the rivers Lemno and South Esk. On the N. bank of the former river, at Battledyke's Farm, were formerly traces of a Roman camp of 80 acres, supposed to be the station Ad AEsicam, now almost obliterated by the plough. There are also ruins of Finhaven Castle, formerly the seat of the Lindseys, earls of Crawford. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in agriculture, and others in the stone quarries. This parish is in the presbytery of Forfar, and synod of Angus and Mearns. The minister has a stipend of £158. The parish church has a tower, much dilapidated. There is a parochial school, also a parochial library. Oathlaw was formerly called Findhaven, and once formed part of the great forest of Claton, which extended from the present village of Finhaven to Kerrie Muir."
"FINHAVEN, a post village in the parish of Oathlaw, county Forfar, Scotland, 4 miles N.E. of the town of Forfar. In the vicinity is Finhaven Hill, above the river Lemno, where are the remains of an old castle, formerly of the Lindsays."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]