PANBRIDE, Angus - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"PANBRIDE, a parish in the district of Dundee, county Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles S.W. of Arbroath. It contains, besides the village of its own name, the villages of Muirdrum, West Haven, and East Haven, also the hamlets of Gallowlaw and Newtown-Panbride. The parish is bounded on the S.E. by the German Ocean, and on the other sides by the parishes of Barry Monikie, Carmylie, Arbirlot, and St. Vigeans. It extends in length about 5 miles from S.E. to N.W., with a breadth of about 2 miles. The surface is moderately even, but rises towards the N. A large portion of the land is in a state of cultivation. The soil of the arable part consists of a clayey loam, but that towards the N. is moorish, and towards the coast sandy. The coast is flat and rocky, but has two open harbours at the East and West Havens, where small vessels can discharge their cargoes in mild weather. Limestone and sandstone occur, both of which are worked. The parish is traversed by the Dundee and Arbroath railway, which has stations at East Haven and Carnoustie, and is watered by two or three streams. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the fisheries. This parish is in the presbytery of Arbroath and synod of Angus and Mearns, and in the patronage of the crown. The minister has a stipend of £231. The church is a cruciform structure, erected in 1851. There are, besides a Free church, a parochial school and library, and several other schools. In the northern part of the parish stands the house of Panmure, with its enclosures and plantations; and near the house are vaults and foundations of the old castle of Panmure, the seat of the Maules."

"BALMACHY, a village in the parish of Panbride, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 6 miles to the W. of Arbroath."

"CROMBY, a village in the parish of Panbride, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 2 miles from Monikie."

"EAST HAVEN, (and West Haven) villages in the parish of Panbride, county Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles S.W. of Arbroath. They are situated on the coast, and are chiefly inhabited by fishermen."

"EASTHAVEN, a village in the parish of Panbride, county Forfar, Scotland, 4 miles S.W. of Arbroath. It is a fishing village and a station on the Dundee and Aberdeen railway. This village, with Westhaven, about a mile distant, sends into the markets large quantities of haddocks, cod, and lobsters."

"GALLOWLAW, a village in the parish of Panbride, county Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles S. of Arbroath."

"MUIRDRUM, a village in the parish of Panbride, county Forfar, Scotland, 6 miles S.W. of Arbroath. It is situated near the coast, which is low and rocky. Some of the inhabitants are engaged in the fisheries and some in the neighbouring bleach works. It has a post-office."

"NEWTON, a village in the parish of Panbride, county Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles S.W. of Arbroath. It is situated on the coast, near the Dundee railway. It is sometimes designated Newton-of-Panbride. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the bleach-works and in the fisheries."

"PANMURE, a demesne, in the parish of Panbride, county Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles S.W. of Arbroath. It is situated near the coast, which is low and rocky, and belonged to Lord Panmure, of Panmure House, who took the title of baron from the old castle of the Maules, now in ruins."

"WESTHAVEN, a hamlet in the parish of Panbride, county Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles S.W. of Arbroath, on the coast near the line of the Dundee railway."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)

[Last updated 5 Dec 2010 - 10:36 by Mel Lockie]