RESCOBIE, Angus - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]

"RESCOBIE, a parish and district in the county of Forfar, Scotland. It contains Bole and part of Marestone, also Roscobie Loch. It extends about 9 miles from S.E. to N.W., with a varying breadth of from 1½ mile to 2½ miles. It is bounded by the parishes of Oathlaw, Aberlemno, Guthrie, Kirkden, Dunnichen, Forfar, and Kirriemuir. The surface is uneven, lying in a hollow between Dunnichen and Turin hills, which attain an altitude of about 814 feet above sea-level. On the hill of Turin, which wears an impregnable aspect, formerly stood a stone fort. Traces of the walls, from 13 to 14 feet in thickness, are still remaining, and are now known under the name of Kemp or Camp Castle. The loch of Roscobie extends about 1¼ mile in length, with an extreme breadth of nearly 1 mile, occupying that part of the parish which lies betwixt the hills of Turin and Dunnichen. The Lunan Water flows through this loch, as well as that of Balgavies, which last is 1¼ mile in circumference, and lies on the boundary of the parish, a little to the S.E. Grey paving-stone and Old Red sandstone conglomerate are the prevailing rocks, and are quarried to a considerable extent. The soil varies according to its position, in some places being a sharp gravel, in others poor and moory, and in parts fertile, these several changes often occurring in one field. The parish is traversed by the roads from Forfar to Arbroath and Montrose, also by the Arbroath and Forfar section of the Scottish North-Eastern railway. This parish is in the presbytery of Forfar and synod of Angus and Mearns. The stipend of the minister is £213. The church was erected in 1820. There is a parochial school, also a library. The principal seats are Burnside, Ochterlony, or Balmadies, Pitscandby, Carse, and Reswallie."

"MARESTONE, a hamlet in the parishes of Aberlemno and Rescobie, county Forfar, Scotland, 3 miles N.E. of Forfar."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use

Return to top of page u_arrow (1K)

[Last updated 5 Dec 2010 - 10:36 by Mel Lockie]