[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"RUTHVEN, (or Riven) a parish in the district and county of Forfar, Scotland, 3 miles E. of Alyth, and 10 W. of Forfar. The parish contains the villages of Bridgend, Balbirnie, Barberswells, and Whines. It extends in length about 2 miles by about the same in breadth, and is bounded by Perthshire and the parish of Airlie. It is situated on the N. side of the vale of Strathmore, near the foot of the Grampian mountains. The surface is moderately even, and on the N. side of Strathmore takes a gentle southerly slope. It is watered by the river Isla, which flows partly through the interior, and partly on the northern boundary. The soil, which is a light brown mould on a gravelly subsoil, is fertile and well cultivated, especially in wet seasons. In various parts of the parish, stone, shell, marl, and peat, abound; and there are mineral springs. The parish is traversed by the road from Kerrumuir to Blairgowrie. Agriculture has recently been much improved. The village is situated on the western bank of the river Isla, and within easy access of the Scottish Midland railway. On the banks of the Isla are flour and other mills. In the vicinity are some Druidical stones and kistavens; also the ruins of Castledyke fore, and a cairn on the moor. Isla-Bank, or, as it is often called, Ruthven House, is situated near the site of the Crawfords' and Ogilvies' old castle, which, being ruinous, was pulled down at the commencement of the present century. This parish is in the presbytery of Meigle and synod of Angus and Mearns, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is about £160. The parish church is situated near Inverquoich. The minister is titular of the tithes by a gift in the year 1634, from the Marquis of Hamilton, then proprietor of the abbey lands."
"BARBASWALLS, a village in the parish of Ruthven, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 6 miles from Kirriemuir."
"WHINES, a hamlet in the parish of Ruthven, county Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles S.W. of Kerriemuir."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]