"Pleasantly situated on the North side of the valley of Strathmore, at the foot of the Grampian mountains. It is of small extent, containing only 1700 acres, of which 300 are covered with wood, 40 with heath, capable of plantation, 30 of marl pits, and 16 of peat moss; the remainder is arable, and tolerably fertile, having a light hazelly soil, on a gravelly bottom. The river Isla runs through it, forming some remarkable cascades."
The Gazetteer of Scotland, W Chalmers, Dundee 1803.
Click on the map at the right to access more maps of Ruthven.
- The transcription of the section for Ruthven from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.