ST. VIGEANS, Angus
"Lying on the sea coast to the East and North of the town of Aberbrothock, and comprehending a great part of the suburbs of that town. It is of considerable extent, being 7 miles long, and from 3 to 4 broad, containing 9385 acres; all of which, except about 700 or 800 acres of improvable muir and plantation, are arable. The surface is pretty level, rising on both sides, from the small river Brothock, whihc divides it into two parts. The soil is exceedingly various; but upon the whole fertile, and well cultivated. The coast for about a mile East from Aberbrothock, is flat and sandy: at the end of this plain it rises abruptly .... The parish church is old and romantically situated on the top of a small conical mount, near the Brothock .... The chief employment of the inhabitants is the manufacture of cloth for the Abroath market."
The Gazetteer of Scotland, W Chalmers, Dundee 1803.
Click on the map at the right to access more maps of St Vigeans.
- The transcription of the section for St Vigeans from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.