TANNADICE, Angus - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"TANNADICE, a parish in the county of Forfar, Scotland. It extends in length about 12 miles from N. to S., with an extreme breadth of 8 miles, and is bounded by the parishes of Lethnot, Fearn, Careston, Aberlemno, Oathlaw, Kirriemuir, and Cortachie. The surface is moderately even, but rises in parts of the central and northern districts to 900 feet above sea-level. Along the western border of the parish passes the South Esk, and on the eastern the Noran Water. The prevailing rocks are whinstone and red sandstone. In the vicinity are several antiquities, as Law Hills, a cairn on St. Arnold's Seat, and a Roman camp called Battledykes across the Esk. The parish is traversed by the roads from Kirriemuir to Brechin and Aberdeen, and is within a short distance of several stations on the Scottish North-Eastern railway. The village of Tannadice is about 5¼ miles N. of Forfar, and 6½ N.E. of Kirriemuir. It is situated on the rivers Noran and South Esk, in Strathmore. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the spinning and splash mills. This parish is in the presbytery of Forfar and synod of Angus and Mearns, and in the patronage of St. Mary's College at St. Andrew's. The stipend of the minister is about £165. The parish church was erected in 1846. There are a parochial school and two parochial libraries. The principal seats are Downie Park, Glenogle, Tannadice House, Easter Ogle, Wester Ogle, and Wester Markhouse. Tannadice was formerly the seat of the Lindsays and Buchans."
"NORAN, a feeder of the South Esk, rises in the parish of Tannadice, county Forfar, Scotland."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use