TEALING, Angus - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"TEALING, a parish in the district of Dundee, county Forfar, Scotland. It comprises the villages of Balkello, Balgray, Kirkton, and Todhills. It extends in length about 7 miles, with a mean breadth of 2 miles, and is bounded by the parishes of Inverarity, Murroes, Dundee, Mains, Strathmartine, Auchterhouse, and Glamis. The surface is hilly, forming the south-eastern slope of the Sidlaws. Craigowl, the loftiest of the Sidlaws, rises 1,100 feet above sea-level, and the base of the slope is about 500 feet above sea-level. The land is chiefly arable. The soil of the higher ground is a light gravel, while that of the lower is principally clayey and loamy. The prevailing rocks are grey slate and sandstone. The village of Tealing is about 4 miles N. of Dundee, and is intersected by the Dundee and Newtyle railway, and by the W. road from Dundee to Aberdeen. This parish is in the presbytery of Dundee, and synod of Angus and Mearns, and in the patronage of the crown. The stipend of the minister is about £162. The parish church was erected in 1806. There are a Free church, a parochial school, and other schools. The principal seat is Tealing House. At Balckembeck are Druidical atones."
"BALGRAY, a village in the parish of Tealing, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles from Dundee. It is situated in a hilly district to the north of the Frith of Tay. Porphyry and other valuable minerals are found."
"BALKELLS, a village in the parish of Tealing, in the county of Forfar, Scotland, 5 miles from Dundee."
"KIRKTON, a village in the parish of Tealing, county Forfar, Scotland, 6 miles N.E. of Dundee. It is situated under the Sidlaw hills, which attain an altitude of 1,100 feet at Craigowl."
"NEWBIGGING, a village in the parish of Tealing, county Forfar, Scotland, 6 miles N. of Dundee. It is situated on the southern slope of the Sidlaw hills."
"TODHILLS, (or Todholes), a village in the parish of Tealing, county Forfar, Scotland, 6 miles N. of Dundee."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use, or as given in our Conditions of Use