"Ardgour, a hamlet and district of N Argyllshire. The hamlet lies near Corran Ferry, at the nexus between Loch Linnhe and Loch Eil, 10 miles SSW of Fort William; and has a post office with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, under Fort William. A church, erected here in 1829 by the parliamentary commissioners, is in the quoad sacra parish of Ballachulish and Ardgour; its minister receives £60 a-year from the Royal Bounty grant and £20 from heritors. Ardgour House, in its vicinity, is the seat of A. T. Maclean, Esq., owner of 40,000 acres in the shire, valued at £2515 per annum. The district is bounded N and E by Loch Eil, S by Morvern, SW by Sunart, and NW by Loch Shiel. Its length, from NNE to SSW, is 13 miles; and its breadth varies from 8 to 11 miles. Its surface is wildly upland, and culminates in Sgòr Dhomhail (Scuir-Donald) at an altitude of 2915 feet above sea-level. A parliamentary road commences on its E coast at Corran Ferry, and goes south-westward through its interior to Strontian. Pop. of registration district of Corran of Ardgour (1881) 248."Extract from Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, (1882-84)
- Churches in Ardgour (NM935675):
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.