BALLACHULISH AND CORRAN OF ARDGOUR
"Ballachulish and Corran of Ardgour, a quoad sacra parish in Kilmalie parish, Inverness and Argyll shires. It comprises two districts, North Ballachulish in Inverness-shire and Ardgour in Argyllshire, separated from each other by the northern end of Loch Linnhe, and its continuation of that, Loch Eil, but communicating with each other by Corran Ferry, 4 miles by road NW of Ballachulish Ferry, and itself ¼ mile broad. North Ballachulish district is bounded S by Loch Leven and the river Leven, being separated only by these from Ballachulish proper and the region of Glencoe, and it measures 17 miles in length and 7 in breadth. The parish, constituted first by the General Assembly in May 1833, next by the Court of Teinds in December 1845, is in the presbytery of Abertarff and synod of Glenelg; its minister's income is £120. Two churches for the two districts, standing about 4 miles apart, were built in 1829, each at a cost of £1470; and that of Ballachulish contains 300 sittings. Pop. (1891) 757, of whom 277 belonged to Corran of Ardgour."
Extract from Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, 1882-4
- (Glencoe &) Ballachulish in Duror QSP in 'Lismore & Appin Parish' (525) is in Argyll however you will need to search for it in Inverness-shire as Ballachulish.
- Ballachulish in the Inverness-shire part of 'Ballachulish & Corran of Ardgour' QSP (506) is indexed under Inverness-shire as Ballachulish.
- Ardgour is indexed under Argyll.
See under History below.
- Churches in Ballachulish and Corran of Ardgour (NN018635):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Ballachulish & Corran of Ardgour area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Ask the GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Ballachulish and Corran of Ardgour to another place.
The Ballachulish area (Ballachulish, Ballachulish & Corran of Ardgour, Lismore & Appin, Onich & Ballachulish) can perhaps be described as one of Argyll's peculiarities. Historically, the name Ballachulish is proper to the area on the North side of Loch Leven now known as North Ballachulish. However the name was later appropriated to describe the slate quarries developed at East Laroch on the South side of Loch Leven, and eventually adopted for the whole of the former Laroch village. See Wikipedia - Ballachulish.
This has implications for those searching for not only the physical presence of their ancestors, but also those searching for relevant records. See the note under Census above.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
Year Population 1871 849 1881 748 1891 757