"Colonsay and Oronsay, 2 islands, Argyllshire, forming the par. of Colonsay and Oronsay, 11,076 ac., pop. 397; pop. of Colonsay, 387; pop. of Oronsay, 10. Colonsay, 8 miles long and from 1½ to 3 miles broad, has a harbour at Schallasaig, 16 miles NW. of Port Askaig, Islay; P.O. An extensive bone cave has been discovered in C. In the N. part of the island is C. House (1722), seat of the M'Neills of Colonsay. Oronsay, separated from C. by a sound only 100 yards wide, and dry at low water, measures 3 miles by 2 miles. It contains the remains of the Austin Priory -- fine ruins, second in interest only to those of Iona."Description from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, (1887)
- Churches in Colonsay (NR381939):
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
Are you lost in the Genuki hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to move up the hierarchy.