"Craignish, a South Argyll Craignish on the W coast of Argyllshire, adjoining the steamboat route from Glasgow, via the Crinan Canal, to Oban, and containing the hamlet of Ardfern, with a post office under Lochgilphead, 18 miles to the SE. It anciently was called indiscriminately Kilmorie and Craignish, and it retains a burial-ground and a ruined chapel, still bearing the name of Kilmhori. Its south-south-western half is peninsular, and its entire outline approaches that of a scalene triangle, with south-south-westward vertex. Its peninsula is bounded E by Loch Craignish and W by the Atlantic Ocean; on its other sides the Craignish borders on Kilninver, Kilchrenan, and Kilmartin. Its greatest length, from NNE to SSW, is 11 miles, and its average breadth is about 2 miles. The extent of coast is fully 16 miles. Loch Craignish, opening from the lower part of the NE side of Loch Crinan, penetrates 6 miles to the NNE, and diminishes in width from 3 miles at the mouth to 7 furlongs near the head, where it forms a commodious harbour, with good anchorage. Craignish Point flanks the W side of the loch's mouth, and terminates the Craignish's peninsula; and both that point and the small neighbouring island of Garbhreisa are faced with cliffs. A strait, called Dorusmore or the Great Door, between Craignish Point and Garbhreisa, is swept by a rapid tidal current, but has a deep channel, and is usually traversed by the steamers from Port Crinan to Oban. Abreast of the mainland, chiefly in the S and within Loch Craignish, are upwards of twenty islands and numerous islets and rocks, serried round with romantic cliffs. The peninsula commences, in the south-south-western extremity, in a near point; extends to a length of about 6 miles; widens gradually to 2½ miles; swells, on the eastern side, into numerous green eminences of 300 feet and less in elevation; has, along Loch Craignish shore, a narrow strip of land; and is cut there into numerous little headlands and winding baylets. A flat tract, less than ¼ mile broad, and very slightly elevated above the sea; extends from the western shore across the head of the peninsula to a rivulet in the E, running along the boundary with Kilmartin. The district N of that tract is partly a section of the valley of Barbreck, extending upward from the head of Loch Craignish, and mainly a rugged, heathy, hilly region, attaining an extreme altitude of 700 feet above sea-level, and commanding, from its higher points, extensive and diversified views. There are twelve lakes, many rills, and numerous perennial springs. The prevailing rock is clay slate. The soil of the arable grounds is principally a loamy mould, less fertile than it looks to be. Much good land, or land which might be profitably reclaimed, lies waste. Remains of a large, strong, mediaeval fortalice are near the north-western boundary; and vestiges of rude forts, supposed to be Scandinavian, are in eleven places. Craignish Castle, standing on the peninsula, 2¼ miles from the point, includes a strong old fortalice, which withstood a six weeks' siege by Colkitto, but is mostly a good modern mansion, rebuilt about 1832; its owner, Fred. Chs. Trench-Gascoigne (b. 1814), holds 5591 acres in the shire, valued at £1013 per annum. Other mansions are barbreck and dail; and the property is divided among 6 landowners, 3 holding each an annual value of £500 and upwards, 2 of between £100 and £500, and 1 of from £50 to £100. Craignish is in the presbytery of Inverary and synod of Argyll; the living is worth £215. The church, 8 miles NW of Kilmartin, was erected in 1826, is a neat edifice, and contains 500 sittings. There is also a Free Church preaching station. Craignish public and Barbreck girls' schools, with respective accommodation for 85 and 41 children, had (1880) an average attendance of 35 and 33, and grants of £43, 10s. 6d. and £41, 4s. Valuation (1882) £3889, 12s. 1d. Pop. (1801) 904, (1831) 892, (1861) 618, (1871) 481, (1881) 451."
Extract from Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4)
- Churches in Craignish (NM775015):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Craignish area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
Year Population 1801 9804 1831 902 1861 618 1871 481 1881 451