"Iona, island, quoad sacra par., and vil., with pier, Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon par., Inner Hebrides, Argyllshire - island (3½ miles by 1½ mile), 8 miles S. of Staffa and off SW. coast of Mull, from which it is separated by the Sound of Iona, about 1 mile wide, pop. 243; quoad sacra par. (including part of Mull), pop. 713; vil., on E. side of island, 6 miles W. of Bunessan; P.O. Iona is also called "Icolmkill," or simply "I." It derives its interest wholly from its ancient ecclesiastical remains, popularly attributed to St Columba, who landed at Iona in 563, and erected a monastery; this, from 795 to 986, was exposed to the ravages of the Danes. A new monastery, as well as a nunnery, was founded by the Benedictines in 1203, and the remains are chiefly of that date. They consist of the cathedral church of St Mary, the nunnery, several small chapels, a building called the Bishop's House, and 2 fine crosses (St Martin's and Maclean's). The chapel of St Oran is supposed to date from the 11th century; the burying-ground attached to it, said to contain the remains of many Scottish, four Irish, and eight Norwegian kings, possesses a great number of monumental stones. The ruins were repaired and partially restored by the Duke of Argyll (the proprietor of the island) in 1874-5."
Extract from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Iona area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
Year Population 1881 713 1891 646