"Jura, island and par., Argyllshire, -- island, one of the southern or Islay group, and the fourth largest of the Inner Hebrides, is separated on the S. from Islay by the Sound of Islay, on the E. from Knapdale and Lorne by the Sound of Jura, and on the N. from Scarba by the Gulf of Corryvreckan; greatest length, 27 miles; greatest breadth, 8½ miles; pop. 773; par. (including also the islands of Balnahua, Garvelloch, Lunga, Pladda, Scarba, and Skervuile), 93,799 ac., pop. 946; P.O. (at Craighouse and Lagg).
Jura is visited by the Clyde steamers to Islay and Oban, and has ferries at Feolin on S. coast to Islay, at Lagg on E. coast to Keills in Knapdale, and at Kinuachdrach near N. extremity of island to Craignish in Lorne. On the E. coast are roadsteads at Small Isles Harbour and Lowlandmans Bay. On the W. coast Loch Tarbert nearly bisects the island, which is traversed from end to end by a rugged range of mountains; in the S. part of the island these rise into three conical peaks called the Paps of Jura, the highest of which, Ben-an-Oir, reaches an altitude of 2571 ft. Cattle and sheep-farming is carried on, and there is some cultivation along the E. coast, but the greater part of the island is deer forest."
Extract from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles, 1887
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Jura area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
1861 1052 1871 952 1881 946 1891 724