"Kilbrandon and Kilchattan, a united parish in Nether Lorn district, Argyllshire. It comprehends a section of the mainland, with the inhabited islands of Seil, Luing, Easdale, Shuna, and Torsay, and the uninhabited island of Inis Capel or Sheep Island; contains the villages of Toberonichy, Ellanabriech, and Easdale, the last with a post, moneyorder, savings bank, and telegraph office under Oban; and enjoys communication by means of the Clyde and Oban steamers. It is bounded N by the Sound of Lorn, NE by the Sound of Clachan, E by Kilninver parish, S by the northern outlet of the Sound of Jura., and W by the Atlantic Ocean. Its length, from N to S, inclusive of intersecting sea-belts, is 10 miles; its breadth is 6 miles; and its area is 14,457 acres, of which 996½ are foreshore and 749½ water. The inhabited isIands are all separately noticed. The mainland section, comprising 5052½ acres, is connected with Seil island by a bridge, and chiefly consists of hill pasture. No ground either in it or in the isles rises higher than from 600 to 800 feet above sea-level. The rocks of the mainland section are interesting chiefly for a marble which was at one time worked near Ardmaddy; those of the islands are remarkable for extensive slate quarries, and for ores of silver, copper, lead, zinc, and iron. Much waste land has been reclaimed, and agriculture has been greatly improved. The ruins of several old fortalices are the only antiquities. ARDMADDY CASTLE and ARDINCAPLE House have separate articles, and the Earl of Breadalbane is much the largest proprietor. Kilbrandon is in the presbytery of Lorn and synod of Argyll; the living is worth £192. The old parish church, built about 1743 on the S end of Seil island, near CUAN ferry, is now abandoned, a new and handsome edifice, with stained-glass windows, having been erected in a more central part of the island. There is also a Free church; and three public schools - Ardincaple, Easdale, and Luing - with respective accommodation for 49, 240, and 100 children, have an average attendance of about 30, 80, and 50, and grants of nearly £55, £114, and £54. Valuation (1883) £6521, (1892) £5433. Pop. (1801) 2278, (1831) 2833, (1861) 1859, (1871) 1930, (1881) 1767, (1891) 1574, of whom 1300 were Gaelic-speaking, and 59 belonged to the mainland."
Extract from Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4)