KILFINICHEN AND KILVICKEON
"Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon, a parish in the Mull district of Argyllshire. Comprising the south-western parts of Mull island, the inhabited islands of IONA, EARRAID, and INCHKENNETH, and several neighbouring uninhabited islets, it contains the villages of BONESSAN and lona, each with a post office under Oban, and enjoys communication by means or the steamers sailing from Oban round Mull. It comprehends several of the numerous parishes into which Mull was anciently divided, and formed only a part of the one parish into which all that district was thrown at the Reformation, but was curtailed by the separate erection of Kilninian and Kilmore parish in 1688, and of Torosay parish about 1728, when it took the name of Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon, from two churches which stood on the central and southern parts of the coast of its Mull mainland section. It is naturally divided, in that section, into the north-eastem district of Brolass, the central district of Ardmeanach, and the south-westem district of Ross; and, in consequence of the last of these districts being the most prominent of the three, the entire parish is often called Ross. It is bounded N and E by Torosay, and on all other sides by the Atlantic Ocean. The Burgh detached portion of the parish of Torosay, comprising 1307 acres, and situated on the north side of the entrance to Loch Scridain, was transferred by the Boundary Commissioners in 1891 to the parish of Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon, but a portion of that parish situated on the west shore of Loch Buy was in turn transferred to the parish of Torosay. The utmost length of the parish, from NE to SW, is 23 miles; its utmost breadth, exclusive of the islands, is 18 miles; and its area prior to 1891 was 62,730 acres, of which 2485¾ were foreshore and 302½ water. The islands and all the prominent places and objects are noticed in separate articles; and the coasts, the surface, and the general features of the Mull mainland section are noticed in the article MULL. Loch-na-Keal, containing Inchkenneth island, forms nearly all the boundary with Kilninian and Kilmore parish; a line of mountain watershed forms the boundary with Torosay; a reach of hills, of no great height, forms the inner boundary of Brolass district; and Loch Scridain forms most of the boundary between Ardmeanach and Ross districts. ..."
Extract from Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (2nd Edition), c. 1896
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Kilfinichen and Kilviceuen area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- Ask the GENUKI Gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon to another place.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
Year Population 1881 1982 1891 1735