"Kilmeny, a ancient parish in Islay island, Argyll shire, whose church stands 4 miles SSW of Port Askaig. It is now incorporated quoad civilia with Killarrow parish, but was constituted quoad sacra as a separate parish, first by ecclesiastical authority in 1826, next by civil authority in 1849. It is in the presbytery of Islay and Jura and synod of Argyll; the stipend is £171. Pop. (1871 924, (1881) 881."
Extract from Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4)Killarrow and Kilmeny, par., in NE. of Islay isl., Argyllshire, 65,929 ac., pop. 2756; contains Bowmore.
Extract from Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887)
- Churches in Kilmeny (NR389657):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Kilmeny area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
Year Population 1871 924 1881 881 1891 805