"Kilmodan, a parish in Cowal district, Argyllshire, containing the Clachan of Glendaruel, which, standing on the left bank of the Ruel, 17 miles NNE of Rothesay and 6 E of Otter Ferry, has a post office under Greenock, an inn, and the parish church. It is bounded NE by Strachur, E by Kilmun and Inverchaolain, S by Inverchaolain and Loch Riddon, SW and W by Kilfinan, and NW by Stralachlan. Its utmost length, from NNE to SSW, is 13 1/8 miles; its utmost width, from E to W, is ¾ miles; and its area is 25,838 2/3 acres, of which 307 4/5 are foreshore and 123 water. The Ruel, formed by two head-streams at an altitude of 90 feet above sea-level, winds 10½ miles south-by-westward down a beautiful narrow glen till it falls into the head of salt-water Loch riddon; just above its mouth it is joined by Tamhnich Burn, which, after tracing 3 miles of the eastern boundary, flows 1 5/8 mile west-south-westward through the interior. The surface is mostly occupied by heathy hills, chief elevations from S to N being Cnoc nan Darach (1184 feet), Cruach nam Mull (1069), Cruach nam Gearran (1230), Cruach Chuilceachan (1428), *An Socach (1345), *Creag Tharsuinn (2111), and Cruach an Lochain (1658), where asterisks mark those summits that culminate on the eastern and north-western borders. Mica slate is the predominant rock, though limestone also abounds; and the soil along the bottom of Glendaruel is a deep and fertile alluvium. Rather more than one-sixteenth of the entire area is in tillage; 1130 acres are under wood; and the rest is most of it moorland pasture. Colin Maclaurin (1698-1746), the eminent mathematician, was a son of the parish minister. Antiquities are Caledonian cairns and traces of Scandinavian fortalices. Glendaruel House, Dunans, and Ormidale, all noticed separately, are the chief residences; and the property is mostly divided among six. Kilmodan is in the presbytery of Dunoon and synod of Argyll; the living is worth £237. The parish church is a sufficiently commodious edifice. A Free church stands 7 furlongs NNE; and two public schools, Kilmodan and Stronafian, with respective accommodation for 40 and 60 children, had (1881) an average attendance of 16 and 24, and grants of £29, 13s. and £32,11s. Valuation (1860) £3604, (1883) £4788, 10s. Pop. (1801) 502, (1831) 648, (1861) 433, (1871) 358, (1881) 323, of whom 229 were Gaelic-speaking. - Ord. Sur., shs. 29, 37, 1873-76."
Extract from Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4)
- Churches in Kilmodan (NR995841):
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Kilmodan area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- Magic (Click + on map to view it)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
Year Population 1881 323 1891 351