"Kilninian and Kilmore, a united parish in Mull disrict, Argyllshire, containing the town of TOBERMORY and the village of Aros, each with a money order, savings bank, and telegraph post office; and comprising the parts of Mull island N of Loch-na-Keal, and the islands of nva, Gometra, Calve, Little Colonsay, Staffa, and Treshinish. It is bounded NE and E by the Sound of Mull, SE by Torosay, S by Loch-na-Keal, which separates it from Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon, and on the other side by the Atlantic Ocean. Its utmost length, from NW to SE, is 15 miles; its utmost breadth, within Mull island, is 13¾ miles; and its area is 77,737 acres, of which 2140 are foreshore, 13¾ tidal water, and 1316 water. The separate islands are separately noticed. The coast of the Mull island districts, even exclusive of minor ins and outs, has an extent of not less than 40 miles; and, containing good harbours at Tobermory and Aros, it exhibits much variety of shore and contour, with no small degree of picturesqueness, and is sufficiently noticed in our articles on LOCH-NA- KEAL, CALLIOCH, TOBERMORY, AROS, and the Sound of MULL. The interior is hilly, but hardly mountainous, and, rising from the coast in arable or verdant slopes, in heathy acclivities, in rocky cliffs, or in naked terraces, offers, for the most part, a mixture of pastoral surface with heath and moss, and displays in places basaltic dykes that stand like artificial walls or ruined castles. Basalt and greywacke, traversed with basaltic veins, seem to pervade the whole; and the greywacke affords many beautiful specimens of zeolite, and some of chalcedony and prehnite. The soil of the arable tracts is mostly either a light reddish earth or a shallow mixture of that with moss, and in places is very humid. Loch ERISA 5 miles x ¾ mile), the largest of five fresh-water lakes, sends off Aros Water to Aros Bay, and all the five abound with excellent trout. The principal antiquities are Aros Castle and a Caledonian stone circle above Kilmore. CALGARY, noticed separately, and Torloisk are the chief mansions. Including the quoad sacra parishes of Tobermory and Ulva, with part of Salen, Kilninian and Kilmore is in the presbytery of Mull and synod of Argyll; the living is worth £247. The parish church of Kil:linian stands on the shore of Loch Tuadh, 8 miles SW of Tobermory; another, Kilmore, is 7 miles to the NE; and both were built in 1754. The two ancient parishes were conjoined with several others at the Reformation into one vast parish of Mull, and were separated there-from in 1688. There is a Free church of Kilninian and Kilmore; and Dervaig public, Fanmore public, Morinish public, Tobermory public, and Ulva public schools, with respective accommodation for 70, 47, 63, 244, and 37 children, have an average attendance of about 35, 25, 85, 165, and 25, and grants amounting to about £72, £40, £55, £245, and £37. Pop. (1881) 2540, (1891) 2344, of whom 1970 were Gaelic-speaking, and 753 belonged to the ecclesiastical parish."
Extract from Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, c. 1895, 1887