"Kinlochspelvie, a quoad sacra parish in Torosay parish, Mull island, Argyllshire, in the SE of Mull around Loch Spelvie, and containing Achnacraig hamlet, with a post and telegraph office under Oban. Constituted by the Court of Teinds in 1845, it is in the presbytery of Mull and synod of Argyll. The stipend is £120, with a manse and glebe worth £10 and £8 a year. The church, 9 miles SW of Achnacraig, was built in 1828. Pop. (1871) 388, (1881) 311, of whom 276 were Gaelic-speaking."
Extract from Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4)